Artistic Director of Theatre Mala Scena, Zagreb, Croatia
Artistic Director of Meriton Children's Theatre, Xi'an, China
In 1989 he founded Theatre Mala Scena where is the Artistic Director since then. In Theatre Mala Scena he directs and performs for audiences all ages.
He is appointed Honorary Member of ASSITEJ - International Association of Theatres For Children and Young People, 2014.
Secretary General of ASSITEJ from 2008 till 2014.
Member of the Executive Committee of ASSITEJ from 1999 to 2008.
He is the founder of Theatre Epicenter, Theatre Centre for Children and Young People in Central and Southeastern Europe.
tel. +385 98 202 662
Graduated acting at the Academy of Drama Arts in Zagreb, Croatia, 1983
Study of Literature and Phonetics at the University of Zagreb, Croatia
Ivica Šimić started professional acting career with the leading role in the musical for children Cat Gengis Kanand Miki Trasi in which he played with Vitomira Lončar (1975). The most significant roles he created in W. Shakespeare's The Tempest (Ariel) (1980), Sokol didn't Like Him, by Fabian Šovagović (1983) and in Let’s Play Little Red Riding Hood by Hansjörg Schneider for which he was awarded as the best actor in performances for children and young people in 1985 for the role of Wolf.
At the moment he performs in:
Ivica Šimić directed in Theatre Mala Scena, in other theatres in Croatia, in USA, Russia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Slovenia, Azerbaijan, Romania and Germany. His most famous performance is Parachutists or On the Art of Falling (2006) that became renowned all around the world and was performed on all continents including Sydney Opera House, Koen-ji in Tokyo, Barbican Centre in London, UK, Kennedy Centre in Washington DC, USA, Buenos Aires, Edinburgh, Seoul, Osaka etc. Most of his performances were touring internationally what made Theatre Mala Scena one of the renowned European theater companies.
Ivica Šimić is a director of International Projects such as
- Borges Project - International multicultural project for ITI (International Theatre Institute), Manila, Philippines, 2006
- iFdentity Project - International intercultural project for ITI, 2008
- Patchwork Family Project - International intercultural project in theatre for children and young people with participation of the artists from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Russia, Austria and Croatia that resulted with the joint performance for young audiences - Superhero, 2010 - 2013
International cultural work
- Ivica Šimić served as the Secretary General of ASSITEJ, the biggest world association of theatres for children and young people (www.assitej-international.org) from 2008 - 2014, when he was granted the title of Honorary Member of ASSITEJ.
Member of the Executive Committee of ASSITEJ from 1999 to 2008.
- He is the founder of Theatre Epicenter, Theatre Centre for Children and Young People in Central and Southeastern Europe.
- Milk Tooth Festival
Ivica Šimić established International festival of theatres for children and young people Milk Tooth, and was the Artistic Director and programmer of the festival from 1998 - 2004.
Publishing, Seminars and Workshops
Ivica Šimić publishes works in the field of Theatre for children and young people in international magazines and books, holds international seminars and workshops on Drama and Theatre for children and young people.
Ivica Šimić is awarded with numerous Croatian and international awards for his artistic and cultural-political work.
Ivica Šimić is married to Vitomira Lončar, and is the father of Buga Marija Šimić
The list of performances directed by Ivica Šimić
*Author's work in bold
Theatre Mala Scena
- Princess at a Pea by Ivica Šimić and Zvjezdana Ladika
- Whispers in the Dark by Noel Greig, 1993
- A Boy With the Family Album by Zinka Kiseljak, 1994
- Rumpelstilskin, an opera for children by Imme Dros, 1995
- Pierrot or the Secrets of the Night by Michael Tourniera, 1997
- Overmorgen by Roel Adam, 1997
- Small I am Myself by Mira Lobe 1999
- Hello, Monster by Paoline Mol 1999
- A Stork and a Fox by Zvjezdana Ladika, 1999
- Ophelia's Shadow Theatre by Michael Ende, 2000
- Secreta of Enchanted Forest by Zvjezdana Ladika, 2000.
- Parsifal by Tena Štivičić, 2001.
- Buffalo and sons by Paolina Mol, 2001.
- Fairytale of a Goldenhorned deer by Zvjezdana Ladika, 2002
- Story of a Cloud by Roberto Frabetti, 2002
- Henrik V. by Ignace Cornelissen, 2002
- Story of Wheel by Ivica Šimić, 2003
- Cyrano by Jo Roets, 2003
- Once Upon a Dragon by Pauline Mol, 2005
- Iphigenia by Lana Šarić, 2005
- Invisible Leonard by Norma Šerment, 2006
- Parachutists or On the Art of Falling by Ivica Šimić, 2006
- Antuntun by Ivica Šimić, 2006
- Cul-de-Sac by Gordana Ostović, 2006
- Forbidden for Younger then 16 by Kristo Šagor, 2007
- King A by Ines Derksen, 2007
- Who are You? by Ivica Šimić, 2007
- Baukach or About Fear by Ivica Šimić, 2008
- Rock 'n' Roll for Two Mise by Ivor Martnić, 2008
- Scoliozee d'Artrozee by Pascal Platel, 2009
- Kow Rosmarie by Andri Beyeler, 2009
- Story of Light by Ivica Šimić, 2010
- Stones by Tom Lykos & Stefo Nantsou, 2011
- Pink Dream Book by Ivica Šimić and Nina Horvat, 2012
- Little Needle Girl by Ivica Šimić and Lana Šarić, 2013
- Four Seasons by Ivica Šimić, 2014
- Little Witch by Nina Horvat, 2015
38. Three Stories from Croatia by Ivica Šimić, Mercer Island, WA, USA, 1994
39. Fox Zvitorepka by Zvjezdana Ladika 1999
40. Princess at a Pea by Ivica Šimić and Zvjezdana Ladika 2000
41. Mr Pepi and Worm Arthur by Barbo Lindgren, 2002
42. Stones by Tom Lykos & Stefo Nantsou, 2010
Taiwan - SONG SONG SONG Theatre, Taipei
43. Parachutists or On the Art of Falling by Ivica Šimić, 2011
44. The Tempest,W. Shakespeare, 2012*
Hong Kong - MINGRI theatre
45. Parachutists or On the Art of Falling by Ivica Šimić, 2012
Russia - NOVY URENGOY
46. Parachutists or On the Art of Falling by Ivica Šimić, 2013
Azerbaijan - TYZ - Baku
47. Buratino, Tolstoy, 2013
Romania - Teatrul TANDARICA, Bukurešt
48. Who's Afraid of Bau Bau, by Ivica Šimić, 2014
49. Parachutists or On the Art of Falling by Ivica Šimić, 2014
Mexico - El Galeon Theatre - Mexico City
50. Ophelia's Shadow Theatre - Michael Ende, 2014
Germany - Junges Schauspielhaus - Düsseldorf
51. Die Kunst vom Fallen und Fliegen by Ivica Šimić, 2016
Croatia (outside of Mala Scena)
52. Ophelia's Shadow Theatre - Michael Ende, 2000
53. The Tempest by W. Shakespeare, 2002
54. Long Way Home by Charles Way, 2006
55. Mice by Zvjezdana Ladika, Ivica Šimića i Drago Britvić, 2000
56. White Clown by Damir Miloš, 2007
57. About Ante by Ivor Martinić, 2009
58. Carousel of Secrets by Ivica Šimić, 2009
- The Real Thing by Tom Stoppard, 1989
- Illusion by Tonny Kushner, 1992
- Olleana by David Mamet, 1995
- Beauty Queen of Leenane by Martin McDonagh, 2001
- The Blue Room by David Hare, 2003
- Proof by David Auburn, 2004
- Life x 3 by Jasmina Reza 2004
- Humble Boy by Chalotte Jones, 2005
- Memory of Waters by Shelagha Stephenson, 2007
- Honor by Joanne MURRAY-SMITH, 2010
- The Real Thing by Tom Stoppard, 2014
- Lettice and Lovage by Peter Shaffer, 2015